Monday, March 22, 2010

Korean Hand Embroidery




For the last 7 days I had the opportunity to take a trip to South Korea and visit few of its beautiful cities. As always, I had to find out about sources and kinds of local hand made fabrics. I came across a Museum of Korean embroidery online and had a chance to visit on my last day at Seoul. Although, the museum itself was just a large room showcasing a small collection of embroidered fabrics, it gave little information on any of them. I did happen to buy a book from the museum that was a lot more informative and I hope to find some of these hand crafted textiles in person someday.

Disappointed but not giving up yet, I happened to come across a shop selling hand embroidered accessories called Kukjae Embroidery. The shop was very small but crowded and had very neat and pretty looking embroidery on everything from small hand held mirrors to large purses. Attached are some pics of my purchases. There was a school/workshop near the shop where all these wonderful accessories were made. Unfortunately, it was too late for me to visit the workshop and see some of the hand work in action, but I am glad I found some interesting items at the store. Maybe on my next visit to South Korea I can deep dive into hand crafts from a different culture.

1 comment:

  1. I too visited this wonderful little shop...may I ask, what is the title of the book you purchased about Korean embroidery?

    Thanks,

    Kerrie Hollihan

    ReplyDelete