Thursday, February 4, 2010

Jewelry from Himachal and Lac from Jaipur






Today I am bringing to you a different element of fashion-jewelry. Jewelry is also one of my passions and I love to buy unique pieces that not only stand out, but also offer stories and deeper connections.

Attached are photographs of jewelry from 2 different artisans in India. The necklaces are made in Himachal Pradesh by women who emulate various tribal and Tibetan designs to make beautiful and unique pieces. This art is being promoted by a non-profit organization called Manushi who wants to help economically empower women by encouraging them to make jewelry at home as they look after their children. I fell in love with the beaded necklaces and some stunning silver sets.

The bangles are made from Lac. Lac is a resinous substance that is secreted by a female insect on specific trees such as soapberry and acacia. The substance is melted, dyed and molded into variety of forms. This craft is practised in mainly Northern India. I picked this from an artisan from Jaipur, Rajasthan who has been practicing the art of making lac jewelry for seven generations. The pieces I picked are pretty modern which is more my taste. However, there were a variety of traditional bangles, necklaces and even earrings.

No comments:

Post a Comment